The stadium was built by the Multnomah Athletic Club in 1926. It was built on the site of Multnomah Field, which was a sports field with a grandstand first built in 1893. The facility was expanded into a full stadium of 28,000 seats in 1926. In 1966, the city purchased the field renamed it Civic Stadium. 
Various events and games have been held at the site from college football, cricket matches, and greyhound racing in its early days to its present use as a Major League Soccer stadium. Some of the more famous events includean event for President William H. Taft in 1909, the National Football League's first overtime game in 1955, an Elvis Presley concert in 1957, and the 2003 FIFA Women's World Cup.