Presentation: Collectivizing Alberta Co-op
- Date: Sunday, January 29, 2012
- Time: 7:00pm until 10:00pm
- Location: Red and Black Cafe 400 SE 12th Ave, Portland, OR 97214
- Jump to this event's wiki page, edit it, discuss it or return to the events page.
- The staff at Alberta Grocery Co-op are dumping the bosses off their backs!
At this event we'll be hearing about the intense fight within Alberta's board, co-op membership and paid staff over workplace democracy.
This fight included retaliatory firings, workplace censorship and even a manager who called the cops on a former worker for "trespassing".
To fight back members and workers formed Members for a Democratic Co-op and forced a vote by consumer members about whether the staff would be democratically self-managed or have a (dictatorial) general manager.
Several other bylaw change proposals, including ones that guarantee free speech in the work place and that limit wage disparity were proposed.
- The workers won!
Every single change was passed. Now they're faced with transitioning to collective management from a temporary general manager, the second hired to run the store in the chaos created by the fight over the co-op's fate. So we'll be hearing about how that's going and what their plan is. This should be super interesting!