Difference between revisions of "Albina"

From PortlandWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
(Created page with 'Albina was a town on the east bank of the Willamette River near where the Fremont Bridge is now. The land that became Albina was originally part of the land claim owned …')
 
m (a little more)
 
(One intermediate revision by one other user not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
Albina was a town on the east bank of the [[Willamette River]] near where the [[Fremont Bridge]] is now.
+
'''Albina''' was a town on the east bank of the [[Willamette River]] near where the [[Fremont Bridge]] is now.
  
The land that became Albina was originally part of the land claim owned by [[J. L. Loring]] and [[Joseph Delay]]. An ownership dispute led to Delay winning the claim, and selling it to [[William W. Page]]. In 1872, Page sold the land to [[Edwin Russell]] and [[George H. Williams]]. Russell and Williams named the town for Page's wife and his daughter, Albina. Russell spent a couple of years developing the townsite (which Williams had platted), but was out of money by 1874. His interests were then sold to [[William Reid]] and [[James B. Montgomery]]. Albina grew to a population of 3000 before being annexed by [[Portland]] in [[1891]].
+
The land that became Albina was originally part of the land claim owned by [[J. L. Loring]] and [[Joseph Delay]]. An ownership dispute led to Delay winning the claim, and selling it to [[William W. Page]]. In [[Notable events in 1872|1872]], Page sold the land to [[Edwin Russell]] and [[George H. Williams]]. Russell and Williams named the town for Page's wife and his daughter, Albina. Russell spent a couple of years developing the townsite (which Williams had platted), but was out of money by [[Notable events in 1874|1874]]. His interests were then sold to [[William Reid]] and [[James B. Montgomery]]. Albina grew to a population of 3000 before being annexed by [[Portland]] in [[Notable events in 1891|1891]].
 +
 
 +
[[Category:Eliot neighborhood]]

Latest revision as of 20:11, 28 August 2011

Albina was a town on the east bank of the Willamette River near where the Fremont Bridge is now.

The land that became Albina was originally part of the land claim owned by J. L. Loring and Joseph Delay. An ownership dispute led to Delay winning the claim, and selling it to William W. Page. In 1872, Page sold the land to Edwin Russell and George H. Williams. Russell and Williams named the town for Page's wife and his daughter, Albina. Russell spent a couple of years developing the townsite (which Williams had platted), but was out of money by 1874. His interests were then sold to William Reid and James B. Montgomery. Albina grew to a population of 3000 before being annexed by Portland in 1891.