1. Improve notification and discoverability of what's on city council meeting agendas.
2. Allow people to comment on upcoming agenda items.
3. Provide a way to track issues over time.
Free knowledge like this doesn't just help, it promote dmecroacy. Thank you.
City of Portland data (all XML, not yet available)
- meetings feed: A feed of city council meetings, each entry linking to the details of a given week's meeting. updated 4pm every Friday. eg: at 4pm Friday, the newest item in the feed will be the upcoming Monday meeting's agenda, and the previous Monday's meetings.
- agenda feeds: The feed of items for a given meeting's agenda.
- future discussion feed: A feed of general topics planned for discussion at future meetings.
Data storage and access
- store agenda items in couchdb at pdxapi.com
- expose views for lists, searches
- expose atom feeds for list and search results
- web app for voting/commenting on individual agenda items
- notifications via twitter: an account that updates when the new agenda is available, linking to input pages
- Atom/RSS feeds of items on the upcoming meeting agenda
- Atom/RSS feeds of keyword searches of upcoming meeting agenda
- Twitter notifications of agenda publication
Public should be able to comment on each agenda item
- each agenda item as a blog post w/ comments
- Reddit style - each agenda item has up/down vote and comments
Long term project, low priority for now.
- timestamp in video per item
- what action was taken
- tracking item relations for resolution
- if an agenda item concerns previous agenda items, link it, and mechanically expose it
Council Meeting Data
Council meeting agendas contain the following high-level parts, each composed of individual agenda items.
- communications to council: citizens have 3 minutes to talk about whatever they want
- time-certain items (has owner, vote)
- consent agenda - 100% covered unless pulled (has owner, vote)
- regular agenda - mostly covered, can vote to address later (has owner, vote)
- agenda id
- item id
- need to make unique by compounding with date.
- commissioner in charge (multiple)
- bureau involved (multiple)
- session date
- session location
- yea/nea (including who went which way)
- video link (to city web page, b/c video not available yet)
- transcript link
- document link
- associated item numbers