Revision as of 13:53, 9 August 2011 by Camior (add fun facts)
Portland is well-known for its great neighborhoods, civic initiatives, transportation options, food choices and more. We thought we'd list other interesting facts that have helped make Portland a fun place to live!
- Portland is the birth place of Wiki.
- The rum and fruit juice drink mai tai was created in 1944 by Vic Bergeron, owner of Portland tiki bar and restaurant TraderVic's(2).
- One of many Portland nicknames is Stumptown, named after the the City's quick and early growth when trees were cut but their stumps were often left in the middle of new streets. Local residents often jumped from stump to stump to make their way along muddy, unpaved streets.(1)(3)
- "Portland is one of the few destinations outside of France where you can take your dog into pubs."(3)
- Tom McCall (former Portland resident, Oregonian journalist and Governor,) signed the Oregon Bottle Bill (1971), the first legislation of its kind in the U.S. It requires cans, bottles, and other carbonated beverages -- plus water since 2009 -- sold in Oregon to be returnable and refundable.(3)(4)
- You can quench your thirst downtown with public drinking fountains called Benson Bubblers. They were originally donated to Portland by a lumberman who hoped to provide a drinking alternative to taverns.(1)