#N17 - Call To Action
- Date: Thursday, November 17, 2011
- Time: 10:00am - 11:30pm
- Location: Occupy Everywhere
- Jump to this event's wiki page, edit it, discuss it or return to the events page.
- On November 17th, Join the 99%
- [Click here for the MAP!]
Occupy Portland, in solidarity with organized labor and the 99% around the world, will mobilize for a day of peaceful direct action to reject the economy that divides us and rebuild an economy that works for all. We will resist the banks and the government they control, reclaim our democracy, and recreate the society we want to see.
Resist austerity. Reclaim the economy. Recreate our democracy.
Occupy Portland has endorsed a call for decentralized-yet-coordinated nonviolent civil disobedience against big banks on Nov. 17. Let’s shut them down!
- Resist the 1% economy that drowns us in debt, forecloses on our homes, profits from war, eliminates our jobs and closes our schools and hospitals.
- Reclaim the economy for the 99%. Everyone deserves the opportunity to find honest work, live with dignity, and pursue a better future.
- Recreate our democracy. We will start to create a society that is organized to meet human needs, not maximize corporate profit.
On November 17th, the 99% will reclaim our destiny from the 1% and fight back against their plans for austerity.
Please send invites to everyone you know in the Portland-area for this event!
Occupy Wall Street, in solidarity with organized labor and the 99% around the world, has called for a day of non-violent civil disobedience on Thursday November 17th to reject the economy that divides us and rebuild an economy that works for all. We will resist the banks and the government they control, reclaim our democracy, and recreate the society we want to see.
This is a call to form “affinity group” action teams, take on support roles, or join in a public march visiting action locations.
An action “Spokes Council” for communication between and support of affinity group has been formed by the Occupy Portland Action Committee and seeks your participation.
How to engage:
- Check out www.n17pdx.org and email email@example.com
- Form an affinity group! A team of half-a-dozen friends can, for example, shut down a corporate bank for hours, especially if utilizing u-locks or other basic “lock-down” devices. The spokescouncil has seats for representatives of all active affinity groups and is working to ensure actions don’t accidentally conflict, can get their action’s message out to media, have legal support, and more.
- Support the direct actions! There are many ways to help support actions without risking arrest – police and media liaisons, legal observation, march planning, outreach, and more. Teams are forming for all of them, and are a great place to get trained – no experience necessary.
- Get trained! Many workshops for anyone wanting help planning actions and organizing new affinity groups are happening! Schedule at www.n17pdx.org/training (link at bottom of page), or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Donate! This coordinated mass action – one of the largest days of action in Portland history – is being run on a shoestring! Put your money where your values are now! We need your support asap, every bit helps: Funds are desperately needed for legal support, outreach material, sign making supplies, and civil disobedience blockade devices. Do you want to see the big banks shut down? Then please put your money where your visions are and visit www.n17pdx.org/donate today!!
Spread the word! RSVP on Facebook, invite others, help put up flyers, and check out our website for more ideas.
This is a once in a generation opportunity to take bold action with a critical mass of activists willing and ready to confront corporate greed. Seize the moment. Take the day off work (because the banks are open 9-5). Spread the word. Gather your friends. Plan your action. Be Creative. Occupy the Banks.
To get involved contact: email@example.com / (503) 567-6895
Media inquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org
General Questions: email@example.com