Difference between revisions of "PortlandWiki"
(→Getting involved with PortlandWiki)
|Line 49:||Line 49:|
== Things To See in Portland ==
== Things To See in Portland ==
Revision as of 08:52, 6 November 2009
|Categories . Tell us how you found PortlandWiki|
Friday, November 6, 2009
Things To See in Portland
Start Downtown and visit the Ground Kontrol for a great experience for the kids, at any age, or drop by the Living Room Theater to check out a show. If you are not into movies and want a cool hangout, drop by Backspace.
The first week of the month offers First Thursday. Head towards Fareless Square for many galleries, then onward to the Portland Police Historical Museum for historical events known as the start of the Portland State University campus.
Things To Do in Portland
Portland is well known as a hub of American DIY youth culture. From the late 1980s through today, Portland has been a major center for movements such as zine-making, including hosting such events as the Portland Zine Symposium and home to major zine distributors such as Microcosm. The DIY craft community has also seen a population explosion in Portland since the 1990s and now hosts such events as Crafty Wonderland and regular Church of Craft meetings, and is home to such stores as Knittn' Kitten, SCRAP, and many independently-owned stores such as Bolt, Yarn Garden, and the downtown Fiber District. Portland, is also home to radical feminist and lesbian activist movements as well as the home city of The Worlds Oldest Teenage Drag Queen Pageant" Rose Bud and Thorn Pageant started in 1975 and modeled after the Imperial Sovereign Rose Court of Oregon,, and the city is also considered a haven for punk, hardcore, crust punk and anarchist movements and subgenres, including the self-reliant DIY culture movement that has been part of the aforementioned subcultures.
Places To Go Near Portland
Mt. Hood, Mt. St. Helens and the Pacific Ocean are all within a two hour drive from Portland. These are all great places to be during the few months of the year when it is not raining - basically, July 4th - October 4th.
Where To Eat in Portland
Visit Produce Row on 4th Street for a variety of yummy dining, and check out the Horse Brass Pub for an unusual English experience. Hubers Café is a Portland tradition, but Carafe, ClarkLewis, and the Sinju Sushi also cater to the hipster crowd. The west side has a variety of steak houses, but vegetarians might prefer the Vegetarian House or Paradox Cafe. Voodoo Doughnuts is a must for your creepy sugar fix. (More)
Getting involved with PortlandWiki
The articles below provide information on how to use the PortlandWiki site as well as some general philosophies that the PortlandWiki Council has agreed upon to keep the article base on track.
- PortlandWiki:Introductory - Learn more about how to use PortlandWiki.
- Using PortlandWiki - All about PortlandWiki. Learn how to read it! Learn how to write for it!
- PortlandWiki Policies and Direction - Best practices to follow if contributing content
- Community Portal - Explains what is needed to make PortlandWiki succeed.
- PortlandWiki Council - Information about the PortlandWiki governance body
- Becoming a moderator
- PortlandWiki Article Requests
- PortlandWiki Forums
- "Powell's Books on Burnside". Powell's City of Books. http://www.powells.com/info/places/burnsideinfo.html. Retrieved 2009-03-12.
- "Internet Retailer Best of the Web 2006". Internet Retailer. http://www.internetretailer.com/article.asp?id=16892#powells. Retrieved 2007-08-28.
- History of Powells.com from its website
- Baker, Lisa (March 19, 2004). "Powell’s success story adds a chapter". Portland Tribune. http://www.portlandtribune.com/news/story.php?story_id=23515. Retrieved 2007-08-28.
- "Portland Zine Symposium Official Site". http://www.pdxzines.com/info/. Retrieved 2007-09-15.
- "Crafty Wonderland Official Site". http://www.craftywonderland.com/. Retrieved 2007-09-15.
- "Church of Craft Official Site". http://www.churchofcraft.org/index4.html. Retrieved 2007-09-15.
- "Knittn Kitten Official Site". http://knittnkitten.com/. Retrieved 2007-09-15.
- "School & Community Reuse Action Project Official Site". http://www.scrapaction.org/. Retrieved 2007-09-15.
- "Yarn Garden Official Site". http://www.yarngarden.net/. Retrieved 2007-09-15.
- "Imperial Sovereign Rose Court official site". http://www.rosecourt.org/.