Sacred Economics: An evening with Charles Eisenstein
- Date: Wed Mar 7
- Time: 7:00pm until 9:00pm
- Location: First Unitarian Church, Eliot Chapel 1011 SW 12th Ave, Portland, OR 97201
- Jump to this event's wiki page, edit it, discuss it or return to the events page.
Sacred Economics: Money, Gift, and Society in the Age of Transition
In this talk, Charles Eisenstein will explain how the transition to a healing money system is already underway, borne of the converging crises of our time. This will be a mind-opening glimpse of solutions and new ideas for the future of money and economics -- and how we can contribute to it. Please join us for a fascinating exploration of the personal, economic, political, and mythic dimensions of the transition with a truly inspiring economic visionary.
- What is a Gift Economy and how do we create it?
- What are the root problems in our current economic and money systems?
- What does a money system look like that no longer destroys but instead heals nature, culture, and the human spirit?
This video is a great introduction to Charles Eisenstein's ideas about Sacred Economics: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRtc-k6dhgs
- HELP US SPREAD THE WORD BY INVITING PEOPLE TO THIS EVENT!
- Here's a flier that you can print out and help hang up around town
Complete event details at, http://unifyingcascadia.org/
- AND ...
Want to dive deeper into these themes?
Join Charles on March 11th in Eugene for a FULL DAY "The Revolution is Love: Transition Activist Intensive" from 9am - 4pm.
The all day workshop will explore these themes:
- The psychodynamics of transition
- The shift of consciousness and mythology underlying the transition today
- How to align ourselves with that shift on a personal, psychological, and spiritual level
- The rebirth of community
- Activism in an age of social and ecological healing
- A Leader as “one who holds the story of what is to be”
Reserve your space with a refundable deposit - please visit http://unifyingcascadia.eventbrite.com/ for tickets. Space is limited.
And after our March 7 Portland event more 2 hour evening talks in Oregon,
- Corvallis - March 8
- Ashland - March 9
- Eugene - March 10
- Eugene ALL DAY intensive - March 11
Visit for http://unifyingcascadia.org/ for full tour details.
Charles Eisenstein is a teacher, speaker, and writer focusing on themes of civilization, consciousness, money, and human cultural evolution. His writings on the web magazine Reality Sandwich have generated a vast online following. He speaks frequently at conferences and other events, and gives numerous interviews on radio and podcasts. Writing in Ode magazine's "25 Intelligent Optimists" issue, David Korten (author of When Corporations Rule the World) called Eisenstein "one of the up-and-coming great minds of our time." Eisenstein graduated from Yale University in 1989 with a degree in Mathematics and Philosophy, and currently serves on the faculty of Goddard College.
"I consider Charles Eisenstein one of the up-and-coming great minds of our time. Rarely have I met a person who combines such philosophical and spiritual depth with such practical insights into the cultural and institutional origins of the potentially terminal dysfunctions of modern society—and the potential solutions."
—David Korten, author of The Great Turning
His personal website: http://charleseisenstein.net/
Sacred Economics online: http://www.realitysandwich.com/homepage_sacred_economics
Sponsored by Evolver, New Connexion (www.newconnexion.net) Occupy Portland, and First Unitarian Church of Portland, KBOO, Transition PDX
Charles' visit has inspired activists in Portland, Corvallis, Eugene and Ashland to come together to explore how to promote a regional vision of greater vitality, resilience and interdependence in all our communities. We're calling this effort "Unifying Cascadia". If you are interested in exploring this with us, let us know at http://unifyingcascadia.org/
Cost: You decide - sliding scale of $5-20 or any other amount (including zero) that feels right and fair to you.