Colonel Summers Park
Colonel Summers Park is located at the corner of SE 20th and Belmont in Southeast Portland's Buckman neighborhood. The park is approximately 4.7 acres, and extends to SE 17th and SE Taylor. The park features amenities such as a basketball court, playground, disabled access picnic sites, a soccer field, a softball field, and tennis courts. Adjacent to the park is a community garden of the same name. The park and the garden are maintained by Portland Parks & Recreation.
The park opened in 1921 as Belmont Park, but was renamed Colonel Summers Park in 1938 in honor of Colonel Owen Summers, a former member of the Oregon legislature and a volunteer in the Spanish-American war. A bronze plaque installed on a large rock from Kelly Butte bears a bas relief of Colonel Summers; it is located at the Southwest corner of the park. Prior to 1921, this area was a steep gulch that some locals had used as a garbage dump. The community garden was acquired in 1975.
- Colonel Summers Park at Portland Parks & Recreation.
- Colonel Summers Community Garden at Portland Parks & Recreation.
- http://0-sanborn.umi.com.catalog.multcolib.org/sanborn/image/view?state=or&reelid=reel09&lcid=7439&imagename=00073&mapname=Portland+1908-1909vol.4%2C1909%2C+Sheet+403&clickType=zoom&zoomName=216&zoomValue=2.16&CCSI=¢erX=1843¢erY=1616&viewportWidth=925&viewportHeight=700 1908-1909 Sanborn Map - requires Multnomah County library card