To the immediate north, the William Temple House. To the immediate south, the Temple Beth Israel. To the immediate west, and more or less connected to the park, is the former 1913 Couch School, now the Metropolitan Learning Center.
The park is named is named in honor of Captain John Couch, whose first home in Portland was near where Union Station is today. He owned all the land from the river to around NW 23 Ave and from Burnside north for a mile. He named the blocks alphabetically which is what resulted in the name Alphabet District.
The site of Couch Park was was the estate of Cicero Hunt Lewis, who married Captain Couch's daughter Clementine. The estate was built in 1881 and consisted of a mansion, stables, and a greenhouse. Later, the estate was demolished and the property acquired by the Portland School District in 1913 to build a new school. The property that is now the park was the playground for the school.