Skidmore Fountain, a landmark in the heart of downtown Portland, opened in 1888. It was named for Stephen Skidmore and partly financed by his will. The fountain was designed by the sculptor Olin Warner.
The fountain sits beneath and to the south of the Burnside Bridge, at Southwest First Avenue and Pine Street. The Portland Saturday Market surrounds it on weekends from spring to fall. TriMet's Skidmore Fountain MAX station sits nearby.
Stephen Skidmore was a arrived in Portland in 1850 and went on to establish a successful drug business. In his will he left $5,000 for the construction of fountain that would provide drinking water for people, horses, and dogs. The fountain ended up costing $18,000, which resulted in donations of additional funds from Skidmore's friends Charles Sitton, Henry Failing, and Tyler Woodward in order to complete the fountain. While preparing for the celebration of its opening, city leaders rebuffed an offer by Henry Weinhard to pump beer into the fountain through city fire hoses. The officials feared Portland's citizens would puncture the valuable hoses to intercept the beverage on its way to the new fountain. 
- Portland Beer: Crafting the Road to Beervana, Dunlop, Pete, 2013, page 30, Charleston, American Palate